Monday, April 4, 2011

Books to read

I'm a sucker for fiction. Teen fiction.
Let me amend that, *Well-written teen fiction.
*Well-written teen fiction that contains a premise that interests me.

Maybe I'm not a deep reader. I like to read for entertainment, for the story. The books that keep me reading until 5 AM cause I need to know what happens next.

And Scott Westerfeld fits that entire bill perfectly.
While he's mostly known for his Uglies/Pretties/Specials series, I actually found that to be the least interesting, and never got around to reading anything past the first book.

His other series, "Midnighters", and more recently the in-progress "Leviathan" trilogy have both captivated my attention.

Midnighters paints a land in the U.S. where time stops for an hour for a specific group of people. A hint of realism in the fantasy, and with the variety of characters bouncing off each other dynamically, there is always one that one can relate to.

The Leviathan trilogy has to be my favorite however. The setting is an alternate steampunk WWI. I love steampunk. The visuals and feelings that it gives, of complex yet vintage machinery, the theme of exploration through the sky, the immense power this old technology has developed all make it a thrilling setting. That along wit the great story-weaving and beautiful illustrations, truly giving visuals for the vibrant world the words paint, make it an entertaining read.

What can I say?
I'm a sucker for teen fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment