Thursday, October 28, 2010

DEM RELATIONSHIPS

So the parent and child relationship is always special. The parent is a role model for a child, guiding them along the ways of life, showing the customs. The child always looks up to the parent, and develops an idea of the world from the parent’s actions. The special relationships we look at in America are those Father-Son and Mother-Daughter relationships. Although there has been a rising trend of those Father-Daughter and Mother-Son relationships thanks to the number of divorces and single parents rising in the last few years, the first two relationships are what most people imagine when a parent and child relationship is brought up.

But there are stereotypes tied to each of these relationships. The father and son always have to play baseball or catch at some point in their life in some white picket fence front yard or a field. There has to be some play wrestling in a field after a catch while playing some football. The dad also has to let the kid win all the time. I remember doing some of these with my dad, although I’d always lose when I played with my dad. He’d put me in my place every time.

Mother and daughter relationships… I don’t know too well. I guess there’s the stereotype that girls learn how to become women as some sort of coming-to-age tradition from their mothers, but I don’t know much more. But these ideas are changing and probably will be changed in generations to come. The world is changing rapidly when it comes to social relations, and who knows how these stereotypes will adapt along with it?

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how even though they seem ridiculous, those stereotypes are actually kind of true. For instance, you playing catch with your dad. And while I never learned to sew or make family meals from my mother, I have learned a lot of important values from her. Whether or not these count as womanly traditions I don't know, but she has taught me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha....my dad never let me win either. But looking back at it, I am glad he did not just give everything to me...i had to earn it

    ReplyDelete